You may have heard that running the Windows XP operating system or Microsoft Office 2003 software can be a danger to your company’s IT security now that Microsoft is no longer supporting them. Unfortunately, we will also soon have to limit support to these legacy systems to pre-existing issues. If an issue is discovered later down the line, we won’t be able to provide additional support.
When Microsoft releases updates to their operating systems, they also stop providing support for older legacy systems. If you encounter a new issue, the developer will likely no longer provide a solution. However, don’t feel like you’re being forgotten about. If an operating system or product has become obsolete, it’s for a very good reason.
Updating software is very important, not only to provide new tools and services, but also because updates address any vulnerabilities that were discovered in previous versions of the software. These updates give cybercriminals a roadmap to reverse engineer the problems that have been fixed. The real kicker is that they can then target organisations that operate out-of-date operating systems and technology with malicious software like ransomware and malware.
However, it’s not all doom and gloom. Services and products available now may not have existed or been as affordable when you last upgraded your technology. Furthermore, Government-led initiatives such as GDPR or industry-specific regulations and accreditations can dictate how secure you need to be. You’ll also know that your business’s growth depends on having the technology to work efficiently, collaboratively and securely.
Microsoft has released a new tool to help you achieve all three of those things: Microsoft 365. It’s a combination of Microsoft’s ubiquitous Office 365 software, the Windows 10 operating system and its state-of-the-art Enterprise Mobility and Security suite.
How can Microsoft 365 help your business address these issues?
- Reduce your security risk with a consistent set of security settings designed for how your business operates, with automatic and universal enforcement across any variety of devices
- Get up and running quickly, with a streamlined and straightforward admin experience
- Built with enterprise-grade security in mind, you can protect your data and devices with no trade off between productivity and protection
- Sync files automatically and stay connected, even when offline, to maximise on your workforce’s productivity
- User collaboration tools are at the core of this system with SharePoint empowering teams to build collaborative spaces to brainstorm, meet and store data and documents
- Based on a subscription model, costs can be reduced and far more manageable too
Any customers that are directly affected have been contacted directly but it doesn’t mean you can worry about upgrading later. Migrations take resource, time and planning so waiting until there is an issue to resolve can cost you more in the long run, as well as the untold damage a successful cyber attack could do to your organisation.
Speak to an expert today to find out what has changed since you last upgraded your IT and find out how Microsoft 365 can drive security and business growth.